Our development process
We've created a pragmatic development approach that incorporates best practice.
Our development approach is straightforward
- We undertake a period of detailed analysis work to establish your detailed business processes and system requirements, and to confirm technology platform implementation details with your IT team.
- We review the output of our work with you to confirm and prioritise requirements and we use this as the basis for a fixed-price development budget and to confirm the project plan with you before starting the application development work in earnest.
- We develop your web application over the agreed period of time, in a series of development iterations. We'll involve you in each iteration.
- Typically it's appropriate to run a "pilot" rollout of the new web-based application to ensure it runs as expected in the real world prior to a full-scale rollout.
- A full rollout can take place once the pilot is complete and any feedback has been incorporated if necessary.
- After go-live we'll provide a period of free support and thereafter a range of paid support options.
In our analysis work, we document requirements and customisations as a series of user stories. These are short statements which reflect the tasks that users need to perform - for example: "As a Product Administrator, I can add a video to a product." The collection of User Stories is grouped and prioritised and builds up to provide a detailed list of the features that your web application needs to provide.
We use the user stories as a basis for accurately estimating the development work required. We also use user stories as the basis for planning and managing the development of your system.
Our development work is planned in a series of iterations.
Each iteration implements a group of related user stories. We’ll agree the group of stories with you at the start of the iteration, and then for each user story we develop system code and a series of associated automated tests.
At the end of each iteration you have the opportunity to review our progress.
With the development of each user story, we add the automated tests to our suite of tests for the system.
The full suite of tests is automatically run every time we make a change to the codebase, which allows us to quickly identify regression problems and reduces the amount of time needed for testing. This helps us ensure quality during the initial development and also post-go-live.